Monday 10 March 2014

This was the right time to plunge into active politics, says Mohammad Kaif


'This was the right time,' said former India cricketer Mohammad Kaif in his first interview since his name came out as a Congress candidate from Phulpur in UP for the upcoming general elections. Speaking exclusively to Headlines Today, Kaif said, "I had met Rahul Gandhi a few times. This had been on my mind. I was born and brought up in Phulpur and Allahabad. I moved out to play and pursue my cricket. But I felt it was the right opportunity for me.

I made up my mind in the last few weeks. This is a good chance to give something back to my town". Explaining why he decided to plunge into active politics now, even as he still plays for UP state team, Kaif said, "I'm 33. I have been meeting people and learning about them. It's all about youth now. I want to help them in the manner I want to. Reach out to them. I'll be travelling soon now to my constituency and assess their needs. I come from small background.

But I wanted to reach out to people". In the same breath though, interestingly, Kaif also insisted that he will continue to play the game - even if the 'political game' will be his first priority. "I was playing only four-five days ago. I will try to do both - cricket and politics. It will be challenging. Politics is first priority. It's a full-time job. But I will try to play even if I win.

It will depend on the kind of team I get and if they are in tune with my thoughts and the way I want to work". Kaif has become the second sportsperson in as many weeks to take the politics route after football star and former India captain Bhaichung Bhutia announced his arrival onto the political scene last week. The learning curve will have to be steep, he understands. "I don't have any political background. I am very new to this but one has to start somewhere.

I have traveled across the world, met various kinds of people. I have something to give back. I have seen many highs and lows". His aim and direction may have changed, but the lingo hasn't. "I will play the right kind of politics. Will play fair and respect the opposition. No sledging," he laughs. "People talk about basic stuff - house, electricity, jobs. I want to add something more to people's lives. This can't be it. I'm sure people want something more".

The hope with more and more young sportspersons turning politicians is that sports will become a real agenda. Kaif promises to do something for all sports. "I will try to help all sports. I know a lot of people from various sports. We need to make them play and see a future playing other sports. All sports should be right up there with cricket"." Finally he said, "I went to meet Rahul Gandhi a few days ago. I was quite tense. But he was quite chilled out. He encouraged me and after that I had no doubt about my move."

No comments:

Post a Comment